Thursday, July 4, 2013

Full Circle: What Moved Margo


Your passions, belief systems, and values are what move you personally and professionally, correct? So clearly they won’t change, right? Your actions are what change, actions that support, reinforce, and make your values come alive.

I decided to look over my inaugural blog post communicating What Moves Me (Margo) which I wrote on June 13, 2012. I am amazed at the circular path of my life experiences, beliefs, and how much I really gravitate toward and act on those things that move me. In a nut shell what moved me one year ago was: reading the newspaper each day, visiting new destinations, observing the advice my older son gives to my younger one, reading a book by a profound philosopher or educator, and finally reflecting, playing, exploring all things water, waterfalls, lakes, oceans, and rivers.The sound and smell of water nurtures my soul. So as I sit here in solitude on the shores of Hilton Head Island South Carolina, a place I chose to re-group, re-energize and reflect upon a heartfelt year, I reflect on those things that truly move me. (Sincere thanks go to my cousin who so graciously lent me her home for a week.)

TRAVEL - Exploring the sites and sounds (and tastes!) of new places continues to move me. This year I explored Puerto Rico, Charleston and Hilton Head, South Carolina, as well as Savannah Georgia; each are destinations surrounded or influenced by waterways! Exploring the cobblestone streets, colonial and colorful homes and doorways as well as the glorious ocean views from Old San Juan while tasting freshly crushed mint in island mojitos and green plantain smashed into a meat filled Mofongo shell, enabled me to learn about a culture through all of my senses. South Carolina and Georgia, on the other hand, provided me with an introduction to the South.  Learning about the importance of the rivers for transportation and work, sitting on the dock viewing the shrimp boats as they arrived, viewing the “one room wide” homes of Charleston and the iron rod fences, staircases and balconies of Savannah was an introduction to southern architecture and culture. Touring old plantations and meeting Gullah people was humbling and eye-opening. Trying fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits, and oysters advanced my food repertoire. But most of all, at each destination I found moments everyday to observe the oceans, rivers and lakes, feel the sea breeze and take in the natural treasures of our world. I am grateful for my traveling opportunities.


ADVICE FROM MY SONS-Charles got married last month. Whereas last year I appreciated and reflected on his help giving sound advice to his younger brother as he entered his senior year, this year there was a role reversal as Ricardo, the Best Man, offered his insight to Charles and Brittany. A few words from his toast:

“All jokes aside, these two have always been there for me whenever I have needed them. They have been through the rough like any other couple, and have come out a better and a stronger couple. They have displayed the responsibilities it takes to get married and have the compassion it takes to have a happy life together, and I am so honored to be apart of the journey. I love you both!” 



 
IMMIGRATION STORIES – No new stories to share, but I was in awe with the influence of immigrants on the re-election of President Obama; although there is still a lot of work to be done, to me this is a clear sign that not only are we a nation of immigrants but we are a nation where immigrants (along with minority sectors of the population) make a difference! Let’s hope that this year our government will make the needed progress on comprehensive immigration reform that will enable all members of our diverse society to take advantage and contribute to all the USA has to offer.
THE ALCHEMIST – It is simply a coincidence that one year later the book that has impacted me most is a book by another Paulo, another Brazilian! A family from my school gave this book to me as an end of year gift. When the new year began, the mom asked if I had read it. I apologized, and said no, I had spent the summer working on my dissertation. She said, “This will be a perfect book for you when you have finished.” It sat on my shelf for a year after graduating. I didn’t know much about it, but wanted to read it with no distractions; so it was my beach read! WOW, no regrets. I have always known what my “Personal Legend” was, but Paulo, at a very precise time, has encouraged me to:

  • Rigorously seek it out.
  • Accept the challenges (“Omens”) as necessary steps to       reach my Personal Legend.
  • Realize that sometimes treasures are in our own backyards.
  • Embrace spirituality through my own eyes and perspective.

Thank you Paulo Coelho. Your book was a gift to read with a message that I needed, enjoyed and will embrace!

It has been a joyful and heartfelt year. I look forward to embracing the “empty nest” and continuing on this journey toward, as Paulo has taught me, my Personal Legend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment