Wednesday, June 13, 2012

So, what moves me?


As an educator, mom, scholar, daughter, administrator, woman, teacher, friend and wannabe-should be–will be activist – surely much moves me. What moves me intellectually, socially, emotionally and professionally is so intertwined that no matter the day, month, season or place, there is always a wonderful reason to get up in the morning to start my day.

Here are a few things that move me:
Arriving at a new destination - Gazing out the window of a taxicab or bus after leaving the airport of a city, state or country new to me. Absorbing the sites and sounds of that new destination sets the tone for my cultural journey.

Reading the “printed copy” of the newspaper while sitting on my deck, stopping from time to time to observe the numerous rabbits and occasional cardinal or oriole that flutter in the grass below or on the surrounding deck rails.

Listening to the advice and pointers my older son gives to my younger son – Hmm, didn’t I give that same advice to you seven years ago, and was it always well received?  It is so nice to realize that our messages are helpful – even if it takes a while to rub in. 

Immigration stories – the good, bad and the ugly. Enrique’s Journey (Nazario); my school’s Valedictorian; and I pull out my hair  when I read about deportation cases of contributing members of society who arrived in the United States as children or toddlers, who have so much to offer and are pushed to leave….

Paolo Freire’s Pedagogy of the Oppressed – the most influential book that has moved me personally and professionally.  Message: you must connect with those who surround you and honor their interests and realities.

This quote: “It is not enough to be compassionate, you must act.” Dalai Lama

Water – boating on Lake Winnipesaukee, listening to the waves on an Ecuadorian Beach, standing next to a waterfall, or gliding underwater in a calm river – these are the places that move me, where I have fun, or decompress.
I look forward to elaborating on and adding to the things that move me. What moves you?


2 comments:

  1. You move me Mom. If I could do my 8th grade inspiration presentation all over again I would do it on you (no offense to granddaddy). I really enjoyed this post and look forward to your next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special comment from your son! Congratulations on your inaugural post! I will definitely be checking out Paolo's book and look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete