Friday, August 3, 2012

Reflection that facilitates action

-->Espoused theory theory-in-use -  reflection - action change 
I was introduced to Argyris and Schön’s theories of action early on in my doctoral studies, and I must say it has stayed with me. It greatly influenced the approach I used to analyze the data of my research, and it continues to orient my professional practice. In simplified terms this theory distinguishes between what one espouses to do (espoused theory) and what one actually does (theory-in-use).  Educators as individuals or as members of an organization or team, rely on a set of values, ideas, beliefs, in essence, a “mental map,” to plan an approach to make decisions, problem solve, or implement program.  Frequently however, there is a disconnect between what they espouse to do and what they actually do. Moreover, educators can be unaware of this disconnect which can lead to confusion, inefficiency or an inability to direct or stimulate organizational change. The larger the gap between what educators think they do and actually do the harder it is for an organization to grow and change or even maintain a strong culture.

How has this concept influenced me as an educator? I am committed to action-oriented leadership and rely on personal and professional reflection to orient my practice. This enables me to deliberately monitor the gap between my values and beliefs and the actions that support those values and beliefs.

It seems like a simple concept. However, when educators are not intentional and reflective they may be fooled or lost in the moment, and what they think they are accomplishing may not be the reality that others or the community experience. Ideas and values are strong forces of ones being; so strong that if not careful one can express them but fail to support them.  

How do you know if your espoused theories match your theories-in-use?  Can you clearly articulate your values and beliefs? Can you match them up with specific actions? When goal setting, do you outline actions that may help you to achieve those goals? Do you reflect often on your practice? Do you seek feedback from diverse points of view? 

By keeping these questions front and center, I move forward with stops along the way to re-fuel, make adjustments, consider alternative routes, or simply to enjoy the journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment