Saturday, January 10, 2015

Sketching a Landscape for Education Change




In this excerpt from my first parent letter of the academic year I compared the start of my leadership journey at a new school to that of an artist. I saw myself as an artist observing my new school as a large landscape painting, standing back and contemplating how to best understand and contribute to this educational masterpiece.

"The wonderful thing about being new to a community is having the opportunity to stand back, reflect, and look at the School picture with fresh eyes and a unique perspective. Where are the colors the brightest, and the design the strongest, thus requiring no need for change or improvement? Where are the details lacking? Where do the highlights need to be added? Perhaps there are new elements, portraits and sketches to add to the vibrant educational landscape that encompasses the Lower School. As an educational leader, it is my responsibility to formulate and communicate to all of you the “big picture” of the educational experience that we offer to your family." 

It is clear to me, reflecting on this passage, that at that time I saw myself simply as an observer. Seven months later I actually see myself within that landscape, walking around, interacting, “noticing” what surrounds me.  Instead of “standing back,” I have now “stepped into” the landscape and have become attuned to my surroundings. What have I noticed? What have I stumbled into? What rocks have I turned-over or what pebbles have I scattered? Have I changed the scenery?

This landscape and its effect on me are very real – it is not just a metaphor for my leadership.  I work within an incredibly gorgeous landscape. The tranquility and beauty I encounter each and every morning ease my mind and prepare me for the day ahead. Viewing the sun rise and set, the masterful web of a spider, the changing leaves of the fall and frozen branches of the first frigid day –have pushed me to appreciate the little things, look for the wonder, and acknowledge that within a beautiful somewhat defined landscape, change is still constant. I embrace that change; it is a natural and necessary part of the landscape. As I “step into” the second half of the school year and I continue to interact within the landscape it will be important for me to actively point out those appreciated details, share with and encourage others to wonder, and together “sketch” the natural and necessary changes that will further enhance our educational landscape.   

I look forward to sharing these “sketches” with others. I welcome all, those within the community, and those who share in the artistry of leadership and education, to share their observations of the important educational landscape that surrounds us.

Here are some questions I may ponder:

How are other members viewing this landscape?
How are they helping to define and enhance it?
Are we each creating our own picture to add to the gallery of our experiences?
How are we blending, collaborating within and refining this masterpiece?



No comments:

Post a Comment