Monday, June 16, 2014

Departing Soon: It’s Time To Pack My Suitcase

Departing is not necessarily about saying good-bye. Departing is about carefully packing your suitcase in order to prepare for the next stop along your journey. What you decide to pack; what you leave behind; as well as how you pack your suitcase may define your leadership. When I embark upon a journey, I almost always inadvertently leave an obscure, luckily, non-essential item, behind…which in the end may enable me to say so long, see you later and not good-bye.

So WHAT is it that I am packing in my suitcase as I prepare for my new journey?

  • Knowledge gained through collaboration, trust, and hard work
  • Diverse abilities achieved and practiced through my interactions with others
  • Skills mastered through experimentation with varied techniques, tools, and methods
  • Empathy and compassion used regularly as I heard, observed and responded to the stories of students, colleagues, and parents
  • Lessons learned through the development of essential relationships across the community
  • Connections to people and ideas within and beyond my community that have inspired, motivated and engaged me professionally and personally.


So HOW do I pack my suitcase?

  • First, by prioritizing, listing, and organizing the most essential items for the journey
  • Second, by deciphering the most versatile elements that can be counted on multiple times along the journey
  • Third, by attempting to efficiently place each item for easy access; as well as to leave enough space to add important treasures that I encounter along the way
  • Finally, well, I do tend to stuff some favorite items along the sides suggesting perfection is just not what life is all about……… not yet sure what those items will be!


And WHAT will I leave behind?


Only time will tell, but considering all I have learned from my colleagues throughout my stay, some part of me most likely is resisting the departure, and will be left behind. I only hope, whatever it may be, it will be useful to a group of wonderful educators that have been such an important part of my journey. When you encounter that left behind item, please give me a shout, as I will be thinking of each and everyone one of you as I embark on this new journey. I do leave behind a heartfelt THANK YOU for sharing your expertise, embracing my passions and always looking for the opportunity to have some fun!

And little by little I will be unpacking that suitcase and gathering new experiences and expertise for my life-long learning journey……

See you later and THANK YOU.

Some Useful Blog Posts for Departing Employees:



(Thanks for sharing @mmreesescott)



Please add to the list.

6 comments:

  1. As always, such a great reflective post! I have learned so much from you the past four years and will continue to learn from you, even though it will be done virtually now. Thank you for being such an inspiration and a leader to look up to. All the best on your new adventure! I am so extremely happy for you and I can't wait to follow along...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa, it has been quite a journey and one that you have greatly impacted my professional growth. We shall continue to learn from one another! Suerte!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margo, it has been an extraordinary journey. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your journey. New adventures keep us engaged and learning. I can't wait to visit next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Andrea. We both have great adventures ahead! But very grateful that we had this long stop together to share and grow (and invite me to that graduation when it is time:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Dr.,

    I wasn't going to read your last post, but found myself wanting to hold on to your words, they have always been so helpful to me! I won't say good-bye because I plan to continue to be in your life. Who knows maybe drumming can come to The Wakefiled School!

    Alecia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Alecia, that was a tear jerker. Thank you. You have no idea how much I have learned from you about many things in life let alone drumming which has become a passion. I have had a draft post about your drumming adventures with Kwame, for many months, when I finish you will have some more words to hold onto.

    ReplyDelete