Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Can Man

-->
 Post Three of series  “It is not enough to be compassionate, you must act.”14th Dalai Lama

The Can Man by Laura Williams

I think back to my childhood, the frequent visits to New York City, and the can men and bag ladies. I watched them, was a bit fascinated by their lives. I did not quite understand; I don’t remember asking, and I don’t remember receiving an explanation. I did know that they were “poor,” possibly did not have a home, and needed those can deposits to survive and those bags to protect their sole possessions. That is all I knew….would it have been helpful as an 8 year old or 14 year old to know more?  Why were they poor? What causes poverty? As I reflect back, I must say YES, I wish when I was young I had had the opportunity to explore at a deeper level what it means to be poor in the U.S.A. Perhaps this would have led me to DO something about it. Through this story, there are many important themes that could be explored with elementary school children. It is important as teachers to step out of our comfort zone and not solely stick to the easier themes of the book. If we don’t dig deeper into the tough themes, will these future adults have the same questions that I did, and will we have lost an opportunity to encourage young children to begin to understand the need for systematic changes in our society. Which of these themes do you think is the easiest? Are you willing to explore the most difficult one?

THEME 1: Who are the poor in our nation and how did they get there? Understanding the Can Man’s story will help students realize that anyone can walk in his shoes. That many times the circumstances of life lead to poverty no matter how well prepared and hard working you are. Let’s work to break the stereotypes and misconceptions that surround poverty.

THEME 2: What do we need vs. what do we want?  In my immediate environment, our children/students feel they “need” everything. They need an iPhone, car at 16, the most recent style of Nike shoes, or a pre-ordered copy of the latest book of the Harry Potter series. How do we help children understand the difference between needs and wants? What are true needs and why are they not easily met? Through the story Tim realizes that a skateboard is not a need but a want.

THEME 3: How do relationships and direct experiences help us to understand different perspectives? Do we encourage our students and children to develop relationships with people from all walks of life?  It is the relationship that Tim had with the Can Man that led him to empathize with him and to understand where he was coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment